Women in Film Portland (WIF-PDX) is proud to announce the launch of a new program, Educate/Incubate, designed to advance the careers of local women and nonbinary filmmakers in the Portland film community. The program will be one of the largest in scope ever run by WIF-PDX. It will include public educational events, a cohort of hand-picked resident filmmakers, and a community screening. The organization is hiring a part-time coordinator position to assist with the program.
“We were thinking about ways to make an impact in the community and what the needs are,” said Stephanie Hough, board president of WIF PDX, “Through the Educate/Incubate program we’ll be able to activate the amazing sense of community that exists in Portland around filmmaking, and connect incredible emerging talent with the resources they need.”
Unlocking Opportunities in Filmmaking
WIF-PDX’s Educate/Incubate program offers a unique opportunity for emerging and mid-career filmmakers to elevate their craft. This initiative is tailored to empower storytellers, providing exclusive learning experiences, high-profile mentorship, and a supportive community to propel their projects forward.
Key Program Highlights:
- Exclusive Workshops: Participants will engage in hands-on workshops led by industry professionals, covering essential topics such as scriptwriting, fundraising, and navigating festivals and distribution.
- High-Profile Mentorship: A select cohort of up to 14 filmmakers will receive personalized mentorship, fiscal sponsorship, and networking opportunities, elevating their project’s chance to come to life and thrive in a competitive film industry.
- Community and Networking: Participants will benefit from discounts with local vendors, fostering connections within the Portland film community.
- Promotion and Profile-Raising: Selected resident filmmakers will be featured in WIF PDX and partner newsletters and social media platforms.
Although the program will provide insights on fundraising and opportunities for networking, please note there is not a financial award for accepted applicants.
How to Apply & Eligibility:
- Pre-Production phase: Short-form narrative or documentary projects that have an advanced draft of the script (narrative) or treatment (documentary).
- Production: Short-form narrative or documentary projects with a shoot-ready script (narrative) or treatment (documentary), budget, and pre-production in motion.
- Post-Production: Short form or feature (documentary or narrative) project with at least 90% of principal complete.
Eligible applicants must identify as a historically underrepresented gender in filmmaking and be based in the larger PDX metro area to be able to attend programming (March-August 2024). Also, applicants must have completed at least one film project previously.
This project is supported by a grant provided by the Creative Opportunity Program and Oregon Film – OregonFilm.org. Educate/Incubate will be facilitated in partnership with local nonprofit, Open Signal.
Women in Film Portland (WIF-PDX) is a dynamic community dedicated to advancing the careers of women and nonbinary individuals in the film industry. Through advocacy, education, and support, WIF-PDX is committed to fostering diversity and inclusivity in storytelling. The WIF-PDX yearly Vision Grant was increased to $10,000 in 2023 and attracted 50 local, qualified applicants.
For inquiries, please contact [email protected].